Conflict causes significant disruptions and reportedly unprecedented levels of stress in the workplace.
Participants attending the workshop will develop a better understanding of the nature of conflict, and increase their skill and confidence in managing themselves constructively in conflict situations.
The nature of conflict (signs; threats and opportunities; indications of escalation) will be explored in relation to real examples in the local government context. Participants will also have the opportunity to reflect on some of their own challenges around conflicts, covering their personal conflict preferences and self-management strengths, along with an analysis of key elements of the situation.
Key topics that will be discussed throughout the workshop include:
- Agreed ground rules
- The destructive and creative value of conflict
- Self-assessment and implications of your personal conflict preferences
- The nature of conflict including indications of escalation
- Developing self-awareness and ensuring others don't press your buttons
- Managing yourself in the moment when under fire
- A staged approach to conflict resolution
- Effective approached to commence the conversation
- Common action for follow up, along with individual reflection on how best to apply and consolidate workshop learnings
The workshop will conclude with the identification of common action items for follow up, along with individual reflection on how best to apply and consolidate workshop learnings.